Learning to draw again after quitting 20 years ago: Sketchbook update #2- video and quick thoughts...


So it has been about two months since I did my first sketchbook video and BLOG POST about my attempt to try and relearn drawing after being frustrated and tired and quitting around twenty years ago.

Things have , as I am sure you can imagine, been up and down since then. I've made some improvements and also hit my own share of roadblocks, but for the most part I feel I have been improving and having fun.

I just thought I would make a quick blog post and share the new sketchbook video and a couple of scans of drawings. I recommend clicking on the video and watching it on YouTube instead of embedded because I have not figured out how to make it a proper viewing size in the blog yet. 😀


I mentioned drawing a comic for the blog in my last sketchbook update and as you can see in the video I did do about five pages. The original plan was to do the comic as a training exercise and to also show off the plot for a very original idea I had for a book. I wanted to at least get the origin story of the book out of the way before sharing it on the blog but I decided to take a step away from the pages because I felt I wasn't ready yet and I was not showing any consistency on the character designs.

I will probably go back to drawing pages in the next couple of days but I do not think they are ready enough for prime time and for me to letter them and share than as a story here yet. I do have thumbnails drawn for the whole thing and the story wrote out. It is actually pretty original and I think people would like it if and when I ever get the nerve to share it.

As you can probably tell I was not that great of an artist 20 years ago when I quit, and I sure am not now, and it is very probable that I never will be. And that's fine- I am actually having a lot of fun drawing again and I am happy to say, that for the most part, I have kept up my pledge to draw every day as best as I could do. This has been a pretty good life and learning experience for me.


Anyway, this was just a quick update to share the video and to talk about the status of the blog comic so that's about all I have to say. Please watch the video and feel free to share any art advice, thoughts and comments with me here on the blog or ON MY TWITTER because I appreciate all advice and constructive criticism!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Red Rooster Part 2: Mitch Swirls Further Down the Drain.

Reviews: Literally and Villains of the Snow Sea

SoulFinder by Douglas Ernst and Timothy Lim: REVIEW